Georgia's Residency Requirements
Either the spouse must have been a Georgia resident for 6 months or more before filing for divorce.
Georgia's Grounds for Divorce
Georgia residents may file for divorce under fault or no-fault grounds.
- irretrievable breakdown of the marriage
- cruel and inhuman treatment which endangers the spouse's life
- willful desertion
- wife pregnant by another at time of marriage
Georgia's Child Custody Guidelines
Divorcing parents are allowed to collaborate on a child custody arrangement. If the parents cannot reach a decision, a Georgia court will make a ruling.
- the wishes of the child, if of sufficient age and mental capacity
- each parent's suitability as a custodian
- any evidence or history of abuse
Georgia's Child Support Guidelines
If the parents cannot agree on the amount of child support and the paying parent, child support will be decided by state-specific calculations and guidelines.
- the standard of living experienced by the child during the marriage
- each parent's earning capacity
- any medical, educational, or childcare costs
- the needs of the child
Georgia's Spousal Support Guidelines
Spousal support can be paid in one lump sum, in installments, or periodically. The spouses may determine the spousal support amount and payment schedule, or the courts may award spousal support.
- each spouse's contribution to the property, including acquisition and upkeep of property
- duration of the marriage
- each spouse's earning capacity and financial resources
- the standard of living experienced during the marriage
Georgia's Property Division Guidelines
Georgia has adopted equitable distribution guidelines, which means all property (including gifts and inheritances) will be divided as fairly and equally as possible. Spouses may collaborate on the property distribution, but if they are unable to agree the courts will make a ruling.
Georgia's Venue Guidelines
The petitioner may file the divorce forms in their Georgia county of residence, or in the respondent's Georgia county of residence.